M8 motor lubrication  

RSS

Auskelpie
(@auskelpie)
11/02/2018 2:44 am  

Hello to you all I am new to this site where I have found people who own the great AKAI M8 tape recorder. I have owned my since buying it new in 1966 (yes I am old)  have just brought my unit out of at least thirty years of storage and it now seems to need some maintenance! Reason being after I set it up to play some of my old recorded tapes it run great for about 10 minutes then started to slow down, but I was able to rewind the tape with no problems. I checked the drive belt and for it’s age it is in excellent condition. So going by the service manual I believe my problem it that the motor needs lubrication. I have been able to add oil to the rear of the motor but cannot get at the front oiling points! I removed the three screws that hold the motor plate to the frame of the tape transport section but was still not able move the motor around enough to able remove the parts required to get at the two screws to be able to oil the unit. Can someone please explain how you get the motor out or do I have to take the whole tape transport section out of the case!! With king regards from Down-Under,, Malcolm.  

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
14/02/2018 7:52 am  

Hi Malcolm

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  Nice to have an Aussie visit us here in sunny and dry Cape Town. No worries about age here mate, I’m also ticking on.  

Secondly, we had an Australian Kelpie when I was in my late teens. Awesome buddy to have. I believe it has something to do with the brown markings, please correct me here.

I have two Akai M8s, one in use and the other with a loose deck. I’ll check for you although the manual does give an exploded diagram which I got from  https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/m-8.shtml – page 19 shows the parts list and serves as a useful indicator as to how the motor is installed. (also check page 11).

Don’t eliminate the start/run cap C30a / b 2.2/0.6uFd.  C30b is paralleled across the 2.2uFd for 50Hz mains frequency but you did mention FF/RWD are OK so this may not be a prob.

I’m not entirely sure but I vaguely recall not having to take the motor out of the deck when I lubed the shaft but may be incorrect.  I actually got a service kit through eBay, the original, believe it or not.

Some history here: My dad bought his M8 in 1967/68 and I recall it was very expensive for us in the RSA. The recording quality at 1 -7/8″ was the big thing, apparently because of the cross-field head.  I think what impressed me most as an 8-year old then was that although multi-motor recorders were rated the best the engineering that went into the M8 was short of a marvel. Hence the sophistication of the transport mechanism.

I’ll get back to you on the motor as soon as I can find the transport mechanism – moved house about 7 months back and have boxes I need to check through.

Cheers

Ian

ReplyQuote
Auskelpie
(@auskelpie)
28/02/2018 4:11 am  

Hi Ian

Thank you for the welcome greatly appreciated. Sorry for the delay in this reply but I kept checking for a number of days to see if someone on this site was going to be able to help me!! But I kept getting a message that my request was waiting on approval!! So I just gave up and started to look else where. In the finish I just bit the bullet and completely removed the motor (what a job that was with much tearing of hair etc) Anyway after being to lubricate all the bearings front and back, I reassembled it again but the fault was still there! problem being what you and everyone else stated was the motor speed capacitor!! Well I found that to get a replacement unit was impossible and the only web site that was willing to help me out wanted an arm and a leg to build me a replacement unit!?! So I decided to make one myself it took the purchase of five capacitors a piece of heat shrink tubing and about an hours work and everything was up and running like old times, so now happy again. Glad to hear you like the Australian Kelpie my last two family members have been working Kelpies. My current pal JETT is what you call an Australian Registered Working Kelpie he is Red and Tan in colour and now starting to show his old age like me! if he survives to July he will be fourteen years old, he has been a great companion to me.

Anyway once again that you for your help and advice in this matter,, With kind regards from Down-Under,, Malcolm.  

ReplyQuote
Auskelpie
(@auskelpie)
01/03/2018 2:50 am  

Hi Ian..

I forgot to state that I do have the full M8 service manual, thank you for the offer but I would love to be able to track down one of those service kits you say you obtained off eBay, may I ask what does this kit contain, as I have never heard of or seen one. Things must have been different in SA!!. Also when I removed the faulty MP capacitor from my machine the values were different than what is stated in the service manual. It was 2.0 uf  & .8 uf but I made my replacement unit with the values as per the book and everything now works fine. By the way my total cost excluding my labour was AUD$8.50, a lot different to the $90.00 plus postage for a made up unit or $44.00 plus postage for the supply of the components needed that was offered to me here in Australia by one web site.. I just happen to be a bit tight when it comes to money.. Kind regards, Malcolm.

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
03/03/2018 7:28 am  

Thanks for your input Malcolm. Really sorry to hear about your battle.  For others sitting in this same dilemma have a look at starter caps for electric motors. They can be bulky but 2uF should be easily obtainable. In any event, glad to hear you resolved your problem Malcolm.

The spare parts kit looks like this:  

The prices on eBay are ridiculous.  I think I paid about 30 U$ for it, shipping was more expensive.  I really needed the pinch roller and main belt so to me this was a worthwhile “investment”.  I am willing to bet though that pinch rollers from other models would work as well too. I did have a completely different semiconductor model years back which used exactly the same pinch roller. (it may have been the 1810D but I am not sure).

If you ever do get stuck for parts let me know and I’ll see what I can pull out of the spares bin. No rubber parts though, they are all worn. My dad used to build his own decks in the 60s and had a company here in Cape Town make up the pinch rollers (these were three motor machines) but when I looked around recently I was disappointed to find that either these rubber molding companies don’t see this as being a profitable exercise or don’t understand that there is a huge demand for both open reel or cassette rollers.

Unfortunately I have let things slide with regards to moderation on the website, I have been away for a while and the website forum is not self moderating – lots and lots of signups of bots getting through or people just wanting to sell their wares or spam.  It’s really disgraceful.

When we still had our Kelpie nobody even knew that it wasn’t from our shores. A farmer friend of ours told us that it was an Australian “import”.  So my dad did the most insane thing, he took it to the farm because there was sheep on it and although I wasn’t there I believe it was a spectacle of first order.  It rounded up all the sheep in a few minutes but then didn’t know where to take them so just circled them at about 100 mph for the next hour. Talk about sheepdog genetics.  And it used to sit on my brother’s motorcycle when he drove around town.  Really an incredible hound.  

Keep well

Ian

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register